Riassunto in inglese sul romanzo del XVIII secolo: tipi di romanzi, i romanzi di Defoe, di Fielding, di Richardson e di Sterne (4 pagine formato doc)
18TH CENTURY NOVEL
18th century NOVEL
the word is derived from the Latin "novus" and from the Italian "novella", it was original and reported recent events or news.
The novel potrays characters and actions of real life , the fictitious elements coexist with the parameters of real life. It is caracterised by realism --> different concept of time and space.
Time : exact, chronological obsessive Space: very detailed with descriptions full of particulars ---> this increase the impression of real life.
THE RISE OF THE NOVEL IN 18TH CENTURY ENGLAND
Factors that determined the rise of modern novel:
-the influence of "philosophical realism"(Descartes,Locke),which focused attention on the individual strength ;
-the influence of Methodism: it taught the individual values + personal effort+ the importance of work and of daily activity;
- the growth of reading public (particularly women readers; the diffusion of newspapers)
-growi8ng demand for novel after the birth of libraries
-wealth of the middle class
-the influence of fictional realism ( like the picaresque narrative, ex:Cervantes's Don Quixote).
THE 18TH CENTURY NOVEL CHARACTERISTIC FEATURES
FEATURES: Novelist--> he is the spokesman of the middle class
Novel---> concerned with what could alter the social status; directed to the middle
AIM: the writer's first aim is to write in a simple way in order to be understood widely
STORY: Real life, human experiences, as novels were directed to self-reliant, self-made men
SUBJECT/CHARACTERS: the bourgeois man and his problems, definite characters, the hero of the narrative, the mouthpiece of the author, the reader sympathises with him. They struggle for survival for social success.
Characters are divided into: -people who believe in reason(Robinson C)
-people who cannot control their passion and subordinate reason to their grooving(necessità)
TIME: chronological sequence of events; characters are rooted in a temporal dimension
SETTING: detailed descriptions
NARRATOR: is omniscient, intrusive; he never abandons his characters
THE RISE OF THE NOVEL RIASSUNTO
TYPES OF NOVEL IN 18th CENTURY
THE REALISTIC NOVEL
growth of the novel-reading public --> changes in the reader-writer relationships:
---> As the writer had become a PROFESSIONAL WRITER---> there is any form of patronage, writer becomes independent--->he begins to write to please his public(larger middle class public) that wanted to read about things close to their own individual experience
Writers began to look at reality for inspiration => Novel= a picture of life
ELEMENTS OF REALISTIC NOVEL
- clock time + physical setting are used. TIME + SPACE were made tangible through the use of details( such as names of streets, particular days)
- certain "COMMUNICATING QUALITIES"(colours,size,exetion) became of primary importance
- attentions are focused not only outdoor settings but also INTERIORS(such as bedrooms..)
- NAMES + SURNAMES were given to the characters
- greater importance was given to MONEY as a status symbol
- a CONFLICT was emphasized between :-->middle-class values (money,power..)
--> chivalric values (honour, glory..)
--> traditional gentlemen values (manners, fashion..)
- a new type of PROTAGONIST developed: PRACTICAL,SELF-MADE,SELF-RELIANT. With common sense and prudence.