Analisi del testo, temi e caratteristiche principali della ballata scritta da Samuel Taylor Coleridge, The rime of the ancient mariner (2 pagine formato doc)
THE RIME OF THE ANCIENT MARINER: ANALISI
Samuel Taylor Coleridge: The rime of the ancient mariner. In this poem there are supernatural elements like in the medieval ballad and their main features can be summed up :
- the old mariner comes from nowhere and he has “glittering eye” which has hypnotic power, making people listen
- he is compelled by a mysterious power to tell the story again and again;
- the albatross, a sacred bird in many religion and mythical traditions, is endowed with supernatural powers;
- the poem is full of unearthly creatures (spirits, ghosts, souls, sea-snakes, angels) ;
- the ghost-ship is driven by mysterious forces.
THE RIME OF THE ANCIENT MARINER: ANALISI IN INGLESE
We can also underline the presence of supernatural events and characters, but also the presence of gothic ones;
Supernatural : the albatross, the ghost-ship, Life-in-Death, Death, water-snakes, slimy things, the sea.
Gothic : the ancient mariner, Life-in-Death, Death, phantom ship.
The rime deals with supernatural elements, but deals with a “semblance of truth”.
The albatross represents the love bonded to nature, but it’s also called a Christian soul, shared the food answers they halloo when the mariner kills him; killing the albatross the mariner offends some human values like hospitality and friendship, besides breaking the bond with the nature.
THE RIME OF THE ANCIENT MARINER: TEMI
The main themes of this ballad are:
- death as the conclusive process of guilt, punishment and redemption;
- the power of imagination and his visions;
- the mariner means that the only way to love God is to love all the creatures and things created by God
By blessing snakes the mariner shows his love for some creatures.
A man must love God by loving all the creatures made and loved by God and this is what makes, at the end, the wedding guest wiser, in fact he has learned to love and knows something that the others men ignore; at the end he’s also sadder, because he has listened a dramatic story.
The all narration can be interpreted as a voyage from sin to redemption, to salvation, in fact at the end the mariner can pray and eventually sleep too.
THE RIME OF THE ANCIENT MARINER: CARATTERISTICHE PRINCIPALI
The main features of the classical, medieval ballad are:
- the accompaniment by musical instruments;
- the use of musical devices like alliterations, repetitions, refrains and internal rhymes;
- the stanzas with four lines;
- the mix between narration and dialogue;
- the absence of a conclusion and so a the moral can only be guessed;
- the rime scheme ABAB.
Coleridge introduces a few variations to the standard ballad, in fact:
- not all stanzas have four lines;
- the typical rhyme scheme here is not respected;
- some descriptions of nature are longer than usual;
- the moral at the end is more explicit than in most ballads.
The use of musical devices underlines some important points of the ballad:
- the mariner’s remorse to have killed the albatross;
- the supernatural atmosphere;
- the apparition of the ghost-ship:
Bonus libri scolastici 2022/2023| Simulazioni Test Medicina|Ponti 2023| Come si scrive un tema | Scuola: ponti di primavera e ultimo giorno di scuola |Tema sul ritorno alla normalità dopo il coronavirus|Come si fa un riassunto| Podcast| Mappe concettuali| Temi svolti| Riassunti dei libri|