Riassunto in inglese su Walter Scott e del suo romanzo storico "Ivanhoe" (2 pagine formato docx)
WALTER SCOTT IVANHOE
• Scott was born in Edinburgh in 1771
• At the age of two survived a bout (attacco) of polio that would live him lame (zoppicante)
• Scott’s passion was the history of the area between Edinburg and the English border, known as the Border Country, this interest culminated in the publication of Minstrelsy of the Scottish Border.
• Scott’s interest I the past also led him to write novel set in remoter historical periods.
• In 1820 Scott was created Baronet
• In 1826 the publishing business James Ballantyne & Co was plunged (cadere) in serious financial difficulties. As a partner, Scott found himself liable (responsabile) for debts . He managed to pay them through his writing, but the effort shortened his life.
• He died in 1832
• Minstrelsy of the Scottish Border (1802-03)
• The Lady of the lake (1810)
• Waverly (1814)
• The Lord of the Isles
• Rob Roy (1817)
• Ivanhoe (1819).
IVANHOE RIASSUNTO IN INGLESE
IVANHOE: The Historical novel -> Scott is considered the father of the historical novel in Europe. His technique was to combine history and fiction, without altering historical truth. In his preface to Ivanhoe Scott explained that he wanted to break away from the “ Scotch Novels” and write a historical romance about another country and another epoch. He chose the England of the 12th century .
Nostalgia for a heroic past -> Scott was attracted to a time when men responded less to base commercial instincts or mere pragmatism, but where it was still possible to imagine conduct based on selfless motives, noble courage and dignified behavior. Ivanhoe is the perfect medieval knight; he’s brave, loyal, faithful. He comes froma Saxon family and becomes a loyal follower of King Richard I , so his father disowns him. Ivanhoe comes from the defeated culture, but shows that historical defeat does necessarily not imply cultural inferiority.
WALTER SCOTT IVANHOE E MANZONI
Scott and Manzoni -> Scott’s influence in Europe was great. Unlike Scott, who intended to celebrate the glorious, heroic past of his country, Manzoni wanted to create a national consciousness in his readers. He was very accurate in his historical reconstruction, which was scientifically based on papers and documents of the past. Besides, he possessed a deep psychological insight unknown to scott and a profound moral purpose and high religious spirit.
• Ivanhoe has broken with his Saxon father because he has chosen to follow the Norman ruler Richard I
• He’s in love with his father’s ward, Rowena.
• Ivanhoe returns to his father house and meet Isaac who provides Ivanhoe with the armour he needs.
• Ivanhoe succeeds in defeating many great Norman knight, including Sir Brian Bois- Guilbert, who becomes his mortal enemy.
• In a second tournament Ivanhoe is badly wounded and taken away by Isaac and his daughter Rebecca who is in love with Ivanhoe.